There is no doubt that an air conditioner is a necessary appliance in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. The tropical climate in our country makes it unbearable to live without an air conditioner, especially during hot and humid weather. However, as much as we love our air conditioner, we can’t deny that it is also one of the main causes of high electricity bills in Malaysia.
Don’t worry; the Aircond Xpert JB team is here to help you out! In this blog post, we will share with you 5 easy ways how to save electricity costs when using the air conditioner.
1. Get an energy-efficient air conditioner
If you are planning to buy a new air conditioner, make sure to get an energy-efficient model. Look for an air conditioner with a high Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) rating. The higher the EER rating, the more energy-efficient the air conditioner is. Both window and split-type air conditioners already come with an energy-efficient option.
However, it is important to check whether the horsepower of your aircon is accurate for your area. Getting the wrong size may still end you up with an inefficient air conditioner.
2. Set the temperature correctly
This may seem counterproductive, but setting your air conditioner at very low temperatures will actually cause it to run longer. To save on electricity costs, set the temperature of your air conditioner at 24°C – 26°C. This is a comfortable enough temperature to prevent your coils from freezing.
3. Clean or change your air conditioner filter regularly
A dirty air conditioner filter will decrease the efficiency of your air conditioner and cause it to work harder. As a result, it will consume more electricity and increase your electricity bill. To ensure that your air conditioner is working at its best, clean or change the filter according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Aside from the filter, it will also help your air conditioner to run more efficiently if you schedule regular maintenance from a professional aircon specialist.
4. Make sure to seal your room properly
For your air conditioner to work properly, it is important to ensure no gaps or openings around your doors and windows. These gaps will allow heat from outside to enter your room, making it harder for your air conditioner to cool the room. To seal these gaps, you can use weather-stripping or caulking. Using blackout curtains is also another good strategy to help you aircon cool the room faster and more efficiently while also making your room more conducive for sleep.
5. Avoid direct sun exposure when installing aircon
When installing your air conditioner, ensure that it is not placed in direct sunlight. The heat from the sun will make it harder for your air conditioner to cool your room, and as a result, it will use more electricity.
This will also be damaging to your aircon generally. So, make sure to consider the location of your aircon before installation.
Find out more ways to save electricity
Understanding Aircon Energy Ratings
Every air conditioner in Malaysia will have a yellow energy label with an energy rating. The energy rating is represented in a star-rating system, and the more stars, the more energy-efficient the appliance is.
The energy efficiency of an appliance is calculated by dividing the power output of an appliance by the power input. This calculation will give you the Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER).
The minimum acceptable EER number for an air conditioner in Malaysia is 2.9. However, most air conditioners on the market today have an EER of 3.5 or higher. If you want to be really efficient, look for an air conditioner with an EER of 4 and above.
Best energy-efficient aircon in Malaysia
Many air conditioners on the market come with an energy-efficient option. Here are some of the best ones:
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Air Conditioner SRK25ZMP-S5– This split-type air conditioner has a 5-star energy rating and comes with features like auto restart, sleep mode, and timer function.
- Panasonic CS/CU-YC18TKH– This is a wall-mounted split-type air conditioner that also has a 5-star energy rating. It comes with an Eco button to help you save on energy consumption.
- Daikin FTKC35TVMB– This is another split-type air conditioner that has a 5-star energy rating. It also comes with an Eco button to help you save on energy consumption.
- LG Inverter V Air Conditioner LS-C2461HL is a ceiling cassette-type air conditioner with a 4-tick energy rating. It comes with auto restart, sleep mode, and timer function features.
- Toshiba Carrier Inverter Air Conditioner RAS-B13N3KV2-E– This wall-mounted split type air conditioner has a 4-tick energy rating. It comes with an Eco button to help you save on energy consumption.
When shopping for an air conditioner, always check the energy label to ensure that you get an energy-efficient appliance.
These are just some of the ways how you can save on electricity costs when using your air conditioner. By following these tips, you can stay relaxed and comfortable all throughout the day while also saving on your electricity bill.
We hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.